SSC Rowing Championship Set for April 23
The 2011 Sunshine State Conference Rowing Championship will descend on Canal 54 in Fellsmere, Fla., on Saturday, April 23.
Barry, Florida Tech, Nova Southeastern, and Rollins will field boats in both the Varsity 4 and the Varsity 8 events. Host Tampa will row in the Varsity 8.
The regatta will begin with timed trials at 7:30 a.m. The Varsity 4 petite final will take place at 10 a.m., followed by the Varsity 4 grand final at 10:10 a.m. The Varsity 8 petite final will take the water at 10:20 a.m., with the grand final to follow at 10:30 a.m.
The top three boats in the timed trials will row in the grand final, and the other boats will compete in the petite final.
Heading into the championship, Nova Southeastern is ranked second in the latest Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association poll. Barry appears at No. 6 in the poll, and Florida Tech is No. 7. Rollins received votes.
The NSU Varsity 8 has proven to be the strongest SSC boat this spring, posting six first-place finishes in dual events and other regattas. The Shark Eight has been named SSC Boat of the Week five consecutive weeks. The NSU Varsity 4 boat has also been solid, notching four first-place performances.
Both the Florida Tech Eight and Four have finished first on three occasions. The Barry Varsity 8 has logged four first-place showings.
Admission to the SSC Championship regatta is free. Directions to Canal 54 appear below.
From the South:
- I-95 North and take the Fellsmere/Sebastian exit (Road 512)
- West on Road 512 (Left off the exit)
- North (right) on North Broadway Blvd
- West (left) on South Carolina Ave.
- North (right) on Babcock St./138th Ave.
- The race course is approximately 3.5 mile on the left
From the North:
- I-95 South and take the Malabar Road exit
- East (left) on Malabar Road
- South (right) on Babcock St.
- The race course is approximately 12.5 miles on the right